Retired Life Begins


I stopped full-time work in 2012 - about 6 months before my 60th birthday.  I had no idea what would follow and for a while I kept on doing what I knew best on a personal business basis.

Then I secured a very part-time job - two-days a week.  It was officially a locum or temporary position while an incumbant was recruited.  After a year, the employer decided I would do as incumbant and so I continued on the same part-time basis for 6 years in all - up until 10 days after my 66th birthday.


That was, in itself an encore.  I got to work in a situation where I had nothing to prove other than that I could do the job well.  No-one was looking over my shoulder judging my work - I just did it.  And there were some wonderful new challenges in the work for me to thrive in - working cross-culturally and with people whose worldview was different from my own.

But the time came to say "Enough already!"

The drivers were coming from a few directions. 

  1. Not least, DW had retired two years before and was restless for me to be retired, too.
  2. Grandchildren were living in another state and it was complicated to get time off work to travel.
  3. I felt like I had used up all my tricks in the job and had nothing new to offer.
  4. My body was aching more and more.
So, now the future lies ahead of me - a clear open road, a blank page, or maybe an endless blog on which to record the ride.

In the lead up to retirement I got away for an extended weekend in Melbourne - to be with my son and daughter-in-law at their university graduation.  I also got away to my beloved Albany for a few days R&R and to catch up with my sister who lives there.  Then, just a few weeks after I retired I travelled to Rottnest Island to do some voluntary work there as a stand-in.

That getting away for a few days is going to be a marker of how well this retirement is working - so, it was good to begin as I intend to continue.  We want to catch some whales in Albany before the season is out.  We want to catch the Spring Wildflowers in the near outback of Payne's Find.  We want to attend Quilting and Music Festivals in country towns all around this wonderful state.  And, of course, wewant to get over to Victoria to see the Grandchildren as often as we can.

Along the way I might undertake a project in my workshop.  I might do some significant piece of work in the garden.  I might paint a picture en plein air.  I might go to a concert - classical or otherwise.  I might watch a movie.  I might write a story.  I might do some volunteering in my community.  I might make some fabulous jam or marmalade - or preserve some fruit.

We have a saying in our house - "A is for Activist."  

We have always been passionate followers of the poltical and social justice landscape we live in and have made a habit of attending rallies intended to embarrass policy-makers or advocate for an end to some injustice or another.

These and many other things I am sure, will populate the postings on this blog.  I hope you ejoy the ride with me.



Comments

Post a Comment